Blog Archive

THE NATURAL LOOK

I read that the contestants in the Miss USA pageant were required to submit a portfolio of photographs of themselves wearing little or no make-up. The purpose of the exercise was to see what each contestant looks like in her most natural state. Since it is a beauty contest, I suppose it stands to reason that the prettiest contestant is the one that looks best "when she wakes up in the morning".

As far as the natural look goes, I'm a bit divided in terms of my opinion. Often, but for one or two little physical flaws, a contestant is the prettiest overall. The question then arises whether the contestant should resort to cosmetic surgery to correct those little flaws. Provided the contestant exercises moderation (like with most things in life), I am in favour of cosmetic surgery. In reality there is no difference between a little nip 'n tuck or a lift or a snip, and wearing wigs, extensions, designer outfits, etc. Each accessory merely enhances beauty that is already there.

I have never made a secret of the fact that I admire the Venezuelan pageant system and that I consider their girls well prepared and polished every time they set foot on a pageant stage. I do get annoyed, at times, when they overdo the cosmetic "help". A contestant that immediately comes to mind is Miss Venezuela at the Miss World pageant at Sun City in 2001. But for the fact that her lips were pumped up with enough collagen to raise the Titanic, she would have been in the Top 10.

The usual argument is that we should be satisfied with that which God gave us, but are the skills of plastic surgeons not God-given talents? Go figure. In any event, I am not opposed to a little help from Dr Braun should it be required. As I said before, as long as moderation is exercised, and the contestant doesn't end up looking like a Michael Jackson clone, I am in favour of cosmetic surgery to correct little flaws.

One former Miss South Africa that could have benefited from a visit to Dr Braun is Jacqui Mofokeng. When I stumbled upon the accompanying photographs, it merely reinforced what I had said about Jacqui in the past. I have never met Jacqui, and she is more than likely a charming and accomplished young woman, but a beauty queen she is not. She can thank her lucky stars that the organisers did not ask for a photograph of herself wearing little or no make-up. She would not have made the finals in that instance.