Blog Archive

SHE'S GOT THE LOOK?

I started watching "She's Got The Look" on the series channel today, and what a pleasant surprise it was. For those of you that didn't, it is a reality show in which gorgeous women aged 35 and over compete. For one very lucky winner, a second chance for a supermodel career, a life changing contract with the world famous Wilhelmina Modelling Agency, and a spread in Self magazine awaits.

The show is hosted by the breathtakingly beautiful Kim Alexis, a super supermodel from the early 80's. She graced the cover of hundreds (Ok! I think I could be exaggerating, but I was a huge fan) of fashion magazines worldwide and was a role model for many famous models that came after her. But back to the show and the contestants.

Apart from that hideous granny of 63 (did she really look like a ready-made campaign?), there were some really fabulous looking women in the line-up. I particularly liked the African-American woman that had been a model before she decided to settle down, get married and have children. I did a double take when her age flashed up on the screen. She was 50, but honestly didn't look a day older than 35.

Although there were one or two dodgy contestants, the remaining semi-finalists were all in very good shape for women their age. In fact, most of them were in very good shape for women half their age. I didn't agree with some of the judges' choices when the Final 10 were announced, but then I was using beauty pageant criteria when rating the contestants and not model search criteria. I'm not a big fan of the "runway" or "niche" model look.

Whilst I was watching the show, it brought back memories of the 2007 Miss SA pageant at which a number of former winners of the title appeared on stage. With one or two exceptions, a number of our former world-beaters do not look as good now as some of the former winners that did not fair well at international pageants or whom I did not rate at the time. I am not going to mention names since I would like to remember them as they looked when they wore the crown.

I realise that when one reaches a certain age, it becomes more difficult to keep the rolls, love handles, pouches and wrinkles in check (I know from first-hand experience). For most of the former winners, however, the title was a stepping stone for a life in the fast lane of the rich and famous, and access to all the mod-cons related to maintaining the body beautiful including a possible visit to Dr Nip 'n Tuck.

All I have to say is: "Shame on you! How could you let yourself go like that? You don't have the look any more".