Blog Archive

BEAUTIFUL, BUT NOT AN IDOL

It's time for Idols again tonight, and whilst I have no clear favourite, I am hoping that Graeme, Lendel or Cameron will be sent packing after the votes have been tallied tomorrow. As I mentioned in a previous post, I do not like Graeme, and Lendel and Cameron gave their best performances during the auditions and have done nothing after that to deserve the title.

I had high hopes for Cameron after his awesome audition in response to which a number of journalists predicted that he would be the one to beat. Fortunately for him, he is blessed with good looks. I do fear, however, that we could have another Heinz Winkler situation developing. All the teen girls that make up a large section of the shows target demographic, will be voting for him because of his looks and not because of his singing talent. We'll just have to wait and see how it all pans out.

A well-known South African beauty who thought that her looks might propel her to international singing fame was former Miss World, Anneline Kriel. For the life of me I cannot remember when her single, "He Took Off My Romeos" was released, but I do remember that it was quite possibly the worst single ever released in South Africa. Whoever told her that she might have a future in music was horribly mistaken and should have been shot. Annelines' raspy, smoky rendition of a rather pointless song was dreadful to say the least.

Bernard Jordaan, famed Rapport photographer who was responsible for entering at least 14 Miss SA winners in the 70's and 80's, said that from the moment he saw Anneline for the first time, he knew that she was special and that she would do well on the international pageant stage. Thankfully for him, and for her, there was no talent section at Miss SA or her win would not have been so clear-cut.