Blog Archive

IT COULD HAVE BEEN TWO IN A ROW

I'll be the first to admit that, back in 1975, I wasn't really excited when I discovered that Vera Johns had won the Miss SA title. After all she had beaten my favourite, Crystal Cooper, into second place.

Whilst I can't remember who my other choices were, I do recall that I did not even have her in my Top 3. But then I saw her at a public appearance and I changed my mind. She was beautiful and her photographs didn't do her any justice.

When she arrived in London, she was an instant hit with the press photographers, and she was named joint-favourite to win the crown. I recall that in SA there was talk of a back-to-back win after Anneline Kriel had won the crown, albeit by default, the year before.

Then the wheels came off. Eric Morley declared her ineligible to compete for South Africa because she had been Miss Rhodesia in 1972. Her age, 25, was also cited as reason for disqualification.

It's old news that Crystal Cooper refused to compete in her place unless she was awarded the Miss SA title and prizes. Third-placed Rhoda Rademeyer ended up competing for South Africa and was named as one of the 15 semi-finalists.

Had all of this occured in 2009, residency and age would not have been an issue and South Africa would have 3 Miss World winners to it's credit. Vera Johns is our Miss World that never was.