Blog Archive

A SOUTH AFRICAN TALE

I don't have any fancy pageant-related story to tell, the Idols saga is wearing thin, I'm not in the mood to "dis" Miss SA or the Miss SA Organisation, and I have a heavy week ahead of me so I need to get to bed early for once. But I do have a very amusing, typically South African tale to tell that I heard this weekend.

Sipho bought a tv set at KLM Electronics (names and places have been changed to protect the morons involved). The following day he returned to the store and informed the salesperson that the appliance was faulty. The tv set was sent to the inhouse service centre, but was returned immediately with a clean bill of health.

The following day Sipho was back with the same complaint. The tv set would work for a bit, then it would switch off for a bit, and come back on. Then it would switch off, then on, the off again, etc. Again the set was sent for an inspection, and again it would receive the all's well.

This carried on for a few days, and the store even went so far as to replace the set with another. After Sipho returned once again, the store decided to send a technician to inspect the site, Sipho's home, at which the tv set was giving trouble. Horror! Shock!.........

I never finished the story, but the moral of this truly South African tale is, if you're going to poach electricity from Eskom with an illegal connection, don't use the traffic light on the street corner as the power source.