Blog Archive

MISS UNIVERSE 2009 FINAL PICKS

I had planned to continue with my series of elimination contests in the run-up to the announcement of my Top 15 for the Miss Universe pageant, but a heavy work schedule this week did not leave me with much time to dabble in my hobby. As it turns out, the pageant this year is very wide open and any one of at least 30 contestants could end up in the semi-finals.

Whilst the general consensus appears to be that a European must win this year (have heard this one before), and that the judges were specifically told to overlook the Latinas (yeah right), I hope that the Miss Universe pageant still retains a smidgen of integrity and crowns the most beautiful contestant irrespective of race or region of origin. We already have one Miss World pageant, we don't need another.

That being said, I have decided to go with the following Top 18, rather than a Top 15, since I honestly cannot pick only 15 favourites. As is customary, I have once again grouped my favourites into 3 geographical regions viz The Americas, Europe and The World (Africa, Middle East and Asia-Pacific).
Dominican Republic: I thought she should have placed much higher at Miss World. When she won her national beauty earlier this year, I immediately viewed her as a possible winner.
Honduras: I never noticed her at first, but she looked really good in the presentation show.
Jamaica: I thought she should have won her national pageant in 2005. I just wish she'd smile more often.
Puerto Rico: A Latina Barbie. After two years of non-placements, this girl will be right up there again for her country.
USA: When she was crowned I said a good choice. Having seen her candids since then, she's pretty, but bland. And she has a look in her eyes that screams "bitch". And she is Miss USA.
Venezuela: She is gorgeous and in a perfect world could win the pageant. I notice that she has been lumped with the title of "worst Miss Venezuela ever" on some message boards, but I can only ascribe that to professional jealousy and the fear that she would take the place of a more popular, yet less deserving candidate.
France: She's pretty and has a good body, but I'm not as crazy about her as the rest of the world is it seems.
Hungary: Easily the most beautiful contestant at the pageant. She just seems a tad reserved and her catwalk skills are average at best. But those skills can be taught.
Iceland: I don't generally like blonde's, but she is as gorgeous as her fellow countrywomen who won Miss World titles in the 80's.
Ireland: I didn't like her at first, and she does have a harsh look in some of her photographs, but she did look good during the presentation show.
Netherlands: She looks fabulous in her "pageant kit" and she is pretty in her candids, but there is a look in between that doesn't appeal to me. I can't put my finger on exactly what the problem is.
Russia: She is gorgeous and has a good body. A pity about the explicit photographs of her that surfaced prior to the pageant, but I seriously doubt that she is the only contestant with a skeleton her her closet. Australia: Another unassuming beauty from the "land down under". So glad to see that the Aussies are getting over the "pageants are passe" crap that basically forced pageants "underground" in the 80's and 90's.
Ethiopia: Yet another stunning East African woman.
Ghana: She could duplicate the achievement of her fellow countrywoman at the 1999 pageant.
Philippines: Have always been a fan of the Filipina "look" and feel that a number of deserving candidates have been over-looked in the past.
Singapore: Easily the prettiest girl from the East, but seems too reserved to win.
South Africa: She's tall and ... well ... er ... um ... oh that's right ... she's Miss South Africa.

Well, these are my picks for the Top 15 and all, but 3, would be semi-finalists if it was up to me. Since I am not privy to the Miss Universe 2009 competency profile and do not know for certain what social, economic and political agenda's the organisation has for 2009/10, I suspect that my selection will only match the final results in 6 instances.

As far as a winner is concerned I would happy if one of Australia, Dominican Republic, Hungary, Russia, Singapore or Venezuela was to win. To any contestant that I have over-looked, but makes the grade, well done! You obviously knew which buttons to press.