Blog Archive

MISS VENEZUELA 2009

After watching a late-night movie on M-Net last night, I logged onto the USB Forum to see what is happening in pageant lala-land. I saw a link for an online broadcast of the Miss Venezuela pageant, and in a moment of madness, decided to sit up and watch the pageant for the first time.

Although I am a huge fan of the pageant and it's concept of pageant beauty, the broadcast did drag on for what seemed an eternity. I could not quite decide if it was the endlessly long bellowings of the entertainers or the shoe, yoghurt, shoe, bank, shoe, body lotion, shoe or shoe commercials that were more annoying.

Needless to say, the thousands of screaming and yelling fans that filled the auditorium put South African fans to shame. The atmosphere was electric, and to think that they were supporting a contestant that does not, in most instances, even live in the district or region she is representing speaks volumes for their passion for pageants.

The highlight of the broadcast, apart from the coronation, was definitely the appearance of Stefania Hernandez. I don't care what her detractors say about her or her win at Miss Universe, she is simply sensational. I will even go so far as to say that she is even more beautiful than the stunning Dayana Mendoza.

After more random entertainers and commercials, the Top 10 and then the Top 5 were announced. Just before the Top 5 were announced, I did notice that there were only 9 contestants on stage. I later read that Miss Distrito Capital fainted and would not progress even if selected, although I must have missed her "platso grandioso".

When the placements were eventually announced, I was disappointed that my personal favourite, Miss Tachira, only placed fourth. I was, however, satisfied when my second favourite, Miss Miranda, went on to win the main title, although I will be the first to admit that my Uncle Osmel has a lot of work to do if he hopes for a hat-trick at Miss Universe next year.

Whether Miss Venezuela wins Miss Universe or not, any one of the current batch of Miss SA semi-finalists, as good as she might be, is going to struggle to place higher than Venezuela next year.