Blog Archive

FLIPPING THE COIN

I suppose the big question right now is whether Miss South Africa will earn our third Miss World crown tomorrow evening. Did I say earn? I meant will she be "awarded" our third Miss World crown. The first crown was earned and the second was by default (although I still think that Anneline was much prettier than Helen).

The third, unfortunately, will have to be awarded. At least half of the contestants are facially more attractive than our representative, and "redefined" beauty will have to come into play (whatever that means).

If the Miss World Organisation is swayed by the R45million price tag attached to hosting the event or is licking it's lips at the prospect of incredible global exposure for the pageant during the World Cup, Miss South Africa will become the oldest winner in the history of the pageant, and six years older than the average age of the last ten winners.

I'm inclined to think that it will be another runner-up spot (affectionately called the PJB Award) as a token of gratitude given that the pageant will be held in Vietnam next year. I'm certain that the MWO is aware of the dire state of the Johnnesburg City Council's financial affairs (well, I suppose that is the case for most major cities in SA) and the prospect of getting them to host again in the near future is a virtual impossibility.

I think the easiest way to decide whether it will be a win or second place is to flip a coin. Heads for the World Cup exposure, and tails for a token of gratitude for hosting. Unfortunately a coin only has two sides or I'd make merit the third option.

I can't wait. Perhaps the results will be worthy of a side-splitting laugh or six.